12 to appear in court for the theft of the Kardashian West jewel in Paris
Paris On Friday, authorities said 12 people would stand trial in Paris in the $10 million jewelry theft case targeting Kim Kardashian West in 2016.
The reality TV star said she was tied at gunpoint and locked in the bathroom after armed robbers broke into her Paris rental apartment during Fashion Week.
On Friday, a judicial official said that after five years of investigation, the investigative judges had ordered the case to be referred to trial. The 12 suspects face a range of charges related to theft. No trial date has been set and the official did not provide further details.
Kardashian West’s French lawyer did not immediately comment.
Several suspects have been released from prison awaiting trial on health grounds, including 68-year-old Younes Abbas, one of the five men accused of carrying out the same robbery, about which she published a book last year.
The alleged mastermind, Omar Ait Khedach, wrote Kardashian West a letter of apology from his prison cell, saying that he regretted his actions and recognized the psychological damage he had caused.
At the time, a spokeswoman for Kardashian West said she was deeply shocked but that she was not physically hurt.
Copyright 2021 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.