American and JetBlue are asking the court to dismiss a US lawsuit against the deal
Boston – American Airlines and JetBlue Airways asked a federal judge on Monday to dismiss a government lawsuit aimed at blocking the deal that would allow the two airlines to cooperate on service in the Northeast.
Lawyers for the airlines said there was no evidence that allowing airlines to work together resulted in higher prices or reduced service. They said the airlines had already added new routes in the Northeast, creating more competition against Delta and United in the region.
The case is pending in Federal District Court in Boston.
Under the Trump administration, the Department of Transportation has allowed American and JetBlue to work together on schedules and service in New York and Boston. But soon after the Biden administration came to power, the Department of Justice began taking a fresh look at the deal.
In September, the Department of Justice sued to block the American-JetBlue agreement, saying it would harm consumers by reducing competition in key air travel markets. They also argued that the deal would make JetBlue less willing to compete against Americans in other parts of the country.
Copyright 2021 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.