Before Orlando residents host family and friends this Thanksgiving, there are a few things they need to know. Regular Thanksgiving activities such as cooking, baking, and large gatherings provide not only a welcoming environment for guests, but pests as well.
But don’t worry – we’ve collected some great tips from Arrow Exterminators, a homegrown pesticide, to share with the Orlando community, see below. After this crazy year, they say let’s keep the pests away and enjoy our Thanksgiving festivities. Here are the tips:
- Clean up spills immediately and store holiday items in airtight containers.
- Before baking, check all foods, especially dry foods, for possible infestations and check expiration dates.
- When buying groceries, check the goods carefully and buy only sealed
- While the roaring fire certainly welcomes guests, this pile of firewood is also an ideal nesting place for many pests including spiders, cockroaches, termites, and rodents and provides easy transport into the home.
- If a pantry infestation is suspected, dispose of all contaminated food and any other open dry goods in outdoor litter boxes and thoroughly clean the affected area with a vacuum cleaner, soap, and water.
- Check and shake Christmas trees, wreaths, and other live greenery well before bringing them home.
- Store all holiday decorations in airtight plastic containers and when you take them out of the attic or basement, check them outside before you bring them inside.
- Store firewood off the ground and at least 20 feet from the house and inspect each piece before bringing it home.
- Close all holes and crevices along the foundation and any openings around exterior doors and windows, and place bumpers over openings and chimneys to prevent rodents and insects from finding their way inside.
- Vacuum and vacuum often throughout the house.
- If mice are detected, a pest control professional should be contacted immediately.