The reinstated Sudanese prime minister says the government is independent

The reinstated Sudanese prime minister says the government is independent

Cairo – The re-installed Sudanese prime minister said in an interview broadcast on Monday that he would have the power to form his independent government, according to the agreement he signed the day before with the country’s top generals who ousted him in a coup last month.

In statements he made during an interview with Al Jazeera English satellite channel, Hamdok said he expected the next government to focus on rewriting the country’s constitution and holding elections on time.

On Sunday, the ousted Sudanese Prime Minister signed an agreement to restore him to his post, nearly a month after a military coup put him under house arrest. The agreement provides for an independent technocratic government led by Hamdok so that elections can take place. Until then, you will remain under military supervision. But Hamdok claimed he would have the authority to make government appointments.

“This was an essential part of the political agreement that we signed,” Hamdok said in the interview. “That the Prime Minister has the power and authority to form an independent technocratic government, completely freely and without any pressure.”


In response to Sunday’s deal, thousands of Sudanese took to the streets on Sunday to denounce what many described as the betrayal of the democratic cause by their former prime minister, who has been the civilian face of the transitional government since it took power after the 2019 popular uprising. Deposed tyrant Omar al-Bashir. The country’s leading political opposition parties said they vehemently rejected the deal with the generals.

Hamdok said, on Sunday, during the signing of the agreement with the army, that his main goal is to stop the continuous bloodshed of the country’s youth. According to Sudanese doctors, at least 41 people have been killed so far in the anti-coup protests.

Sudanese doctors said earlier on Monday that security forces had targeted hospitals and prevented injured protesters from receiving treatment since the army took control of the country last month.

Security forces have stopped ambulances, entered emergency rooms to arrest patients, and fired tear gas inside at least two hospitals in Khartoum since the October 25 coup, according to a report from the Unified Office of Sudanese Doctors, a coalition of medical workers.


The Sudan Doctors Committee, the group that released the new death toll, said the latest victim was a 16-year-old boy who was shot in the head while protesting a new power-sharing agreement between the army and the country’s overthrown. Prime Minister on Sunday. The group tracks protest-related deaths.

There was no immediate response from the country’s military or police, who have been accused by the United Nations’ highest human rights body of using excessive force against pro-democracy demonstrations.

But on Monday, the country’s second most powerful general awarded an extra month’s salary to all members of the police force. General Mohamed Dagalo, commander of the country’s large paramilitary force known as the Rapid Support Forces, said that the police “faced great pressure in the past period,” according to a report by the Sudanese government news agency. He said the reward was for their efforts to maintain stability in the country.


The United States and Western countries have repeatedly called on the coup leaders to allow civilians to protest peacefully.

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken spoke with Hamdok and separately with General Abdel Fattah Burhan on Monday, urging “both leaders to work quickly to get Sudan’s democratic transition back on track,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said.

Blinken said leaders should act to implement the November 21 agreement, “including the creation of a transitional legislature, judicial structures, electoral institutions, and a constitutional convention,” according to Price.

Sudanese police officials have tried in recent days to distance themselves from any role in the deaths, saying that their forces in the streets are not armed and that protesters have committed acts of violence. They have repeatedly pledged to investigate reports of deaths.

The committee said that a large number of demonstrators were killed by security forces’ bullets. Families of recently killed protesters mourn the dead.


Marwa Salah, whose brother Abu Bakr Salah was shot in the chest during last Wednesday’s demonstration, said she is determined to continue demonstrating against the military coup.

“Either we will die like them, or we will take what was truly theirs,” she told The Associated Press.

Copyright 2021 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *